12 Images


Walnut Desk - Reduced from £1,800 to £1,400


£1,400.00

Category: Furniture

Subcategory: Desks

Small Walnut Partners Desk.
A fine Victorian free standing walnut partners desk made in the Channel Islands by Lovell & Cox. The desk with a green inset leather top with gilt tooling, one side with dummy drawers the other with a total of seven working drawers, three of which with working locks, the others with blank keyhole escutcheons. The bottom rails on the desk with fine turnings, raised on turned legs with brass cupped castors with ceramic wheels and brass swan neck handles with back plates. The desk is in great original condition with a replaced leather top. There is a paper trade label on the underside of the desk that reads 'Manufacturers of Art Furniture, Lovell & Cox, Furnishing Warehouse, Trinity Square, Guernsey, August 1883'.

Taken from lovellsproperty.com
1853
William H Lovell leaves Guernsey for Australia (aged about 2) with his father, and the family, all hoping to prospect for gold

1868
After setting up a shop and store in Melbourne with the help of his father, William travels to London aged 17, to train with Gregory and Co. (furnishers) of Regent Street

1878
He then returns to Guernsey to set up a cabinet maker's business in Victoria Road with a Mr W Ralls

1879
William sets up a new shop in Foss Arcade, Trinity Square, St. Peter Port with Mr R S Cox (the second son of Mr J S F Cox of the well-known Arcades establishment) under the style of Lovell Cox, specialising in cabinet making, furnishing and auctioneering

1889
Advertisements for Lovell Cox as 'House Agents' first appear in local Almanacs, quite often in Guernsey French!

1890's
The business grows rapidly and Lovell Cox purchase and relocate to larger premises at 7-9. Smith Street (now Marks & Spencer). 
Around this time, Smith Street undergoes huge changes with buildings on both sides of the street being rebuilt and or upgraded and developed including our current premises (No. 11 Smith Street), and the former Post Office at Nelson Place (now vacant). 
Forest Lane becomes the home of the factory and the Cabinet makers' shop, the upholsterers' shop, polishers' shop, even a disinfecting chamber for bedding and mattresses - all conveniently backing onto the new Smith Street shop. 
Modern machinery, driven by steam power, produces much of the furniture sold in the showrooms, although some fine ranges of Japanese, Chinese and Indian novelties were sold, including Satsuma, Taizan, Kaja, Miari, Awaji, Kishin and Owari art pottery, Benares brasswork, bamboo and wicker goods and other Eastern embellishments of the period. The business also expands into sales of carpets, general ironmongery, beds and a whole lot more including lamps, curtains, fire screens and brasses. 
References to our 'Estate Agency' services start appearing in articles in local journals. 
The business purchases larger pantechnicons, housed in premises at Park Street, St Peter Port, all horse drawn at this stage, of course!

  • Year: 1883
  • Dimensions:
    H 74cm x W 122cm x D 68cm
    H 29" x W 48" x D 26¾"

  • Medium: Walnut
  • Country: Channel Islands
  • Signed / Inscribed / Dated: Lovell & Cox
  • Condition: Excellent
  • Reference Number: 27204