London Rowing Club Picture.
An original print of the London Rowing Club. The picture shows three rowing boats on the Thames, a single scull, an eight-oar sweep and a twelve-oar sweep, and three other boats. The twelve-oar boat has a flag flying at the rear with the London Rowing Club initials, LRC. The mount has hand-written on it some of the names of the rowers on the river. They are:- F. Playford, (Cox) Jas. Layton, (Stroke) J.S. Virtue, (Bow) E. Belfour, SCULLER A.A. Casamajor, (Cox) H.H. Weston, (Stroke) H.H. Playford, F. Potter, J. Paine, J. Nottidge, C. Schlotel, J. Ireland, W. Foster and (Bow) G. Dunnage.
The members of the London Rowing Club commissioned a painting around 1860's depicting the first officers and other leading oarsmen. This was paid for by also commissioning a print of the painting at the same time and selling off the copies. The original painting was lost in WWII but as a 150th anniversary project in 2006 a replica painting was produced and now hangs in the clubhouse.
The London Rowing Club (LRC) is one of the oldest rowing clubs on the River Thames and was founded in 1856 at the instigation of Herbert Playford, A Casamajor and Josias Nottidge. The club was formed to promote rowing on the Thames and to win Medals and beat the university crews which dominated Henley Royal Regatta. These three formed part of the crew that won the Grand Challenge Cup at Henley in 1857. One of the most famous of former members is Graham Hill, the Formula One racing driver, who incorporated the club colours in his helmet design.