Sport Antiques Catalogue - Antique Golf - Balls & Bags
Click image to magnify
Item images and text are the © copyright of Manfred Schotten Antiques. Please contact us if you would like to use them for publication.
Hickory Shafted Golf Club, Auchterlonie, North Berwick, St. Andrews.
A vintage jigger by D & W Auchterlonie, St Andrews with hickory shaft, hand punched dot face markings with lines and a suede leather grip. On the rear of the club head it is stamped 'Cargills Ld., Jigger, Auchterlonie D & W, St. Andrews'.
A Jigger is a low lofted iron with shortened shaft very similar to a modern day chipper.
D & W Auchterlonie was the continuation of an earlier clubmaking business founded by David Auchterlonie and Andrew W. Crosthwaite. When Crosthwaite left in 1896 David was joined by his younger brother, Willie, the Open champion of 1893. The business prospered becoming well known as club specialists and ball makers; they patented an 'Approaching Cleek', a 'Putting Cleek' with a weighted back in 1900 and a specially weighted Driver in 1913. The Auchterlonie brothers were both apprentices for the renowned St. Andrews club maker, Robert Forgan.
H 97 cm