Sport Antiques Catalogue - Antique Accessories
Click image to magnify
Item images and text are the © copyright of Manfred Schotten Antiques. Please contact us if you would like to use them for publication.
Mappin & Co Silver Plated Urns.
A pair of Victorian silver-plated tea urns or hot water urns, made around 1860 by Mappin & Co. The urns with peaked lids, fluted loop handles, tap with straight T handle, four fluted legs with fleur-de-lis design and X base with ball feet. The base is with original threaded burner and stamped on the underside 'Mappin & Co, 6375'. The silver plate is a little worn.
Taken from Mappin & Webb website:-
Sir William Mappin left Mappin Brothers Ltd in 1859, to become the senior partner at Thomas Turton & Sons' steel mill, and gave his share of Mappin Brothers to the other three. In 1860, John Mappin, the youngest but by now 22 years old, broke away from Mappin Brothers and started his own business Mappin & Company opening the first Mappin store in 1860 at 77-78 Oxford Street, London. John Mappin was joined in the new adventure two years later by his brother-in-law George Webb.
In 1864 Mappin, Webb & Co was formed, the very year that George Webb was to die. 'Mappin & Webb Ltd ' was first recorded in 1889, and at this stage the business was focused on manufacturing based in Sheffield.
Meanwhile Mappin Brothers Ltd had remained with the middle brothers, Joseph and Edward, and as the British Empire grew they had grown with it, with stores being opened worldwide. They were succeeded by Edward's son Charles Mappin who eventually sold the business in 1884. Over the next ten years the new owners seem to have struggled in finding a direction and eventually failed. In 1903, John Mappin acquired the original London retail business, Mappin Brothers, and from 1899, the Company was known as 'Mappin & Webb Ltd incorporating Mappin Brothers'.
H 55 cm x W 34 cm x D 24.5 cm
H 21½" x W 13¼" x D 9½"