Sport Antiques Catalogue - Antique Accessories
Click image to magnify
Item images and text are the © copyright of Manfred Schotten Antiques. Please contact us if you would like to use them for publication.
9ct Gold Hip Flask.
A high quality 9ct gold and glass hip flask. The top half covered in gold with level viewing windows on both sides, the lower section a removable drinking cup. All gold marked "Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co. Ltd." and, 9 (375) for 9ct gold. The drinking cup hallmarked, London 1923. The flask with hinged lid with screw bayonet fitting with crest and Latin verse "Omne Bonum Desuper" - Every good is from above or above all good. The cup is inscribed on the front.
Taken from the silvercollection website.
The firm was established in 1880 by William Gibson (d. 1913) and John Lawrence Langman (1846-1928).
The firm was active at 112 Regent Street, London acquiring the premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi.
In 1893 the firm absorbed The Goldsmiths' Alliance Ltd (late A.B. Savory & Sons) and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd being active as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths, electroplaters and watch and clock makers.
In 1952 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd.
The firm participated to a number of national and international exhibitions, as Indian and Colonial Exhibition (London, 1886), Paris (1889), Chicago (1893), California (1894), Paris (1900) and Franco-British Exhibition (London, 1908).
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co was active with manufactories at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris and as retailer of items supplied by various British gold and silver manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.)
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co - 1880 - 1898
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd - from 1898
amalgamated with Garrard & Co 1952
H 11.5 cm x W 7 cm x D 3 cm
H 4½" x W 2¾" x D 1"