Sport Antiques Catalogue - Antique Taxidermy
Click image to magnify
Item images and text are the © copyright of Manfred Schotten Antiques. Please contact us if you would like to use them for publication.
Taxidermy, Wapiti Antlers.
A pair of large 11 point Wapiti antlers attached to the scull plate and mounted onto a wooden backboard. The board inscribed "Wyoming 1912", cut into the rear "R.W" (possibly Rowland Ward). A nice decorative wall hanging.
The wapiti, or elk, is one of the largest species within the deer family.
Rowland Ward (1848 1912) was the founder of the world-renowned taxidermy firm 'Rowland Ward Ltd'. They were located in Piccadilly and specialized in big game trophies, but they took on all aspects of taxidermy. Rowland learned his craft from his father, Henry, who was also a well-known taxidermist in his day, as did his brother Edwin. Rowland started out on his own in about 1872 at premises in Harley Street trading as 'J Rowland Ward', his real name was actually James Rowland Ward. A few years later he moved from Harley Street (although he retained these premises until his death) to Piccadilly and traded under the name 'Ward & Co. Ltd'. In 1898 the business was again renamed and became 'Rowland Ward Ltd.', at which it remained.
H 117 cm x W 117 cm x D 97 cm
H 46" x W 46" x D 38"