Sport Antiques Catalogue - Antique Fishing - Rods and reels
Click image to magnify
Item images and text are the © copyright of Manfred Schotten Antiques. Please contact us if you would like to use them for publication.
VINTAGE HARDY SPLIT CANE FLY ROD, 'THE J J H'.
The Hardy 'The J J H rod' is a split cane Palakona 3-piece trout fly rod made by Hardy's of Alnwick. This rod is in excellent condition with Hardy's 'stud' lockjoints, patent adjustable "screw grip" with fixed housing reel fitting (PAT. No. 14137), original cork handle (slight damage) and open rings in. The rod has the registration number C19606 dating it to 1922. The rod is 9' 6 1/2" long and comes with an old canvas bag. The rod has the black inscription spiraling around the shaft 'The 'J J H', 'Palakona' and 'Regd Trade Mark'.
Showing is also a Hardy's Anglers' Guides catalogue entry for the rod.
One of the most famous fishing tackle manufactures in the world is Hardy Brothers of Alnwick, Northumberland. They were and still are renowned for quality manufacturing of game fishing tackle. Their reputation has never faltered throughout the Company's long history which was started in 1872 by William Hardy and his brother John. The list of Hardy customers is very impressive. In 1901 they received their first Royal Warrant by His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales, and in their time Hardy had more Royal Appointments bestowed upon them from most of the crowned heads of Europe, H.M.King George V amongst them. They were the first manufacturer to make split cane rods in hexagonal form as The Hardy Palakona rod.
H 291 cm